Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Getting Started

We moved into our dream house. It's a beautiful place, with lots of land. Some of my favorite plants are already thriving in the yard - rhododendron, bleeding hearts, irises, and more. It's clear that at one point someone who lived here had very similar goals as we do, but the most recent owner had other things on his mind. The house is amazing, and perfectly livable, but it's going to need a lot of work before it's a fully-functioning homestead. My husband and I have come up with lots of plans from fences to solar panels, but we can't do everything at once.

This blog is meant to share our experiences and progress as we work through these projects and turn our house into a thriving paradise. For more about who we are and what we intend to do, please check out the "About The Homestead" page.

Right now, I've been working on some of the basic yard stuff, which is a much bigger ordeal than it sounds. With nearly two acres of land, our self-propelled push lawnmower took about eleven hours to grind through our overgrown grass. Even with all of our extension cords, the weed whacker won't reach the edges of our property. There was one day where I got so frustrated, that I actually took scissors to part of the lawn. My husband keeps saying we should get a ride-on mower, and I think I'm starting to agree, although I have never used one before.

My next project is to reclaim the planter box in the back yard. Right now, it's completely overgrown with weeds, and the wood sides are beginning to rot. It's going to be a process for sure, but I know it will be worth it when next year comes and I'll have the perfect place to plant my vegetables. For now, everything is still in containers!

No comments:

Post a Comment